Prep time – 20mins
Cooking time – 40mins
Serves – 10
|Almond meal - 1 1/3 cups||150g||29||80||8|
|Coconut flour - 1/2 cup||50g||9||8||30|
|Eggs, medium - 3||3||17||14||2|
|Coconut milk, regular - 1/2 cup||120ml||2||24||3|
|Pear, grated - large (edible portion)||200g||0||0||18|
|Cacao powder - 2 tablespoons||14g||4||2||8|
|Water - 1/2 cup||125ml||0||0||0|
|Baking soda - 1/2 teaspoon||1/2tsp||0||0||0|
|Erythritol - 1/3 cup||1/3 cup||0||0||0|
|Total per serve||1||6g||13g||7g|
SERVES – 10
per Serve – main ingredients only: 170 cal / 690 kJ
per Slice – with 2 teaspoons of butter: 240 cal / 990 kJ
This loaf style cake is super quick to make. No fancy mixers required, just bowls and utensils.
Making the Cake
– Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Line a round tin or a loaf tin with baking paper.
– Add baking soda, cacao powder and erythritol to a large mixing bowl and combine well.
– Add almond meal and coconut flour and stir to combine.
– In a separate bowl whisk eggs, then add coconut milk and water and whisk again.
– Add the grated pear to the dry mixture and stir through. Then add the egg mixture and combine to form a thick batter.
– Tip the batter into the lined loaf tin then place in the preheated oven.
– Bake for about 40 minutes, or until firm to touch and bounces back when pressed.
– Remove from the oven and stand for 5 minutes. Then remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
– Garnish with berries if desired.
* Tip: if you don’t want to use erythritol then this cake works with 1/3 cup – 1/2 cup of sugar (which is 1/2 – 3/4 cup of ‘fluffier’ sugars such as coconut, rapdura or brown sugar).
More about Almond Meal
Almond flour is made by grinding blanched almonds to a meal (without the skin). Almond meal is ground raw almonds (with the skin). Almond flour is lower in fibre than almond meal and gives a lighter product with baking. But either can be used. Almond meal can be made at home if you have a blender or grinder. 1 cup of almonds will make about 1 1/4 – 1 1/3 cup of almond meal